Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

If you’ve been in a car accident in the Katy area, you might be wondering what to do next or where to turn. Getting into a car accident can be difficult, especially when you aren’t sure where to turn for help or support. A Katy car accident lawyer near you can help with your legal claim after an accident.

What Should I Do After a Car Accident? 

After getting into a car accident, the first thing you should do is get to a safe area. If your car can be moved out of the road, you need to move it immediately. If it can’t, you should walk away from the car and into a safe area. Make sure everyone in the car is out and follows you away from the scene. 

You also need to check for injuries. Sometimes the shock and adrenaline from the car accident can cause you to not think you have any injuries. Sometimes victims of car accidents find their injuries much later, which makes it harder for doctors to treat. Make sure you don’t have any wounds, blood, or head pain. 

Regardless of if there are injuries or not, you should call law enforcement and paramedics. A paramedic will be able to help ensure you don’t have any serious injuries. Sometimes simple cuts and bruises can be treated on the spot. 

Law enforcement will be able to make a report of the case and ensure there are witness statements. This report could prove crucial later if you are making claims in court or need to file insurance claims. 

Dealing with the Insurance Companies 

Texas requires you to have certain insurance requirements. This includes at least $30,000 coverage of injuries per person and a total of $60,000 per accident. You also need to have $25,000 or coverage for property damage. This is commonly called 30/60/25 coverage. 

Many people choose to buy more liability coverage, but it’s not required. If you don’t have insurance or you are underinsured, you will have a harder time working with the insurance companies as they might be less willing to give settlements. So, always make sure you meet the minimum insurance requirements by checking your insurance policy or calling an agent from the company. 

You can also add uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage to your plan. This will help you if you are hit by someone who doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance to pay your medical bills and car repairs. 

Most insurance companies offer this coverage. If you don’t want it, you need to opt out in writing. Make sure everyone who drives your car is covered by your insurance. 

Reach Out to a Car Accident Lawyer Today

If you are looking to partner with a Katy car accident lawyer, look no further than our multilingual attorneys. Se habla español. Call The Estes Law Firm at 281-238-5400, or submit our contact form.