Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Whether you’re a driver or a passenger, it’s important to know how the law works when you’re involved in a car accident. 

Unfortunately, car accidents are confusing, and you may have trouble getting the answers you need to recover from your injuries. The team at The Estes Law Firm is here to answer your questions about your car accident. While seeking out the personalized answers you need from our lawyers, check out some of our most commonly-asked questions below. 

Is it safe to move my car after a car accident?

It’s important to remember that after an accident, it is not safe to move the car until a professional can inspect it. If your vehicle has been damaged or if you think you may have caused damage to another driver’s car, don’t move your vehicle. Moving a damaged vehicle could cause further damage and compromise your claim.

Typically, it’s best to stay with your car until you’ve spoken with the police and paramedics. Once your accident is recorded and reported, you can take action and seek compensation. 

Should I take pictures of the car crash?

Taking photos of your accident can be vital evidence for your claim, especially if you’re injured. Make sure that the following things are included:

  • The location of the crash
  • Any visible injuries sustained by anyone involved in the wreck
  • The condition of all vehicles involved in the accident

When possible, take pictures of your vehicle from different angles both before and after any repairs are made. This will help document exactly which areas were damaged and what repairs you need to be compensated for. This is important when filing claims with insurance companies later.

What should I do if the other driver flees the scene?

If the other driver flees the scene of the crash, you should:

  • Get the License Plate Number – If possible, jot down their license plate number or take a picture or video of it with your cellphone as they are driving away. Make note of the state the plate is from if they are from out of state. This can be difficult to do, but the evidence can help you find and contact them. 
  • Call 911 – Let first responders know they have left the scene of the accident and which direction they were headed. The police can use the description of the vehicle and its occupants and check to see if there are any identifiable traces they left behind, like chipped paint or tire tracks.
  • Interview Witnesses – You and your lawyer can ask any witnesses for information about what they saw. That includes descriptions of vehicles involved in the crash or how many people were inside each one when it occurred. If possible, write down their names and contact information so that you can ask for more details later. 

Taking these steps may be difficult, and you may still have trouble getting the information you need. Talk to your lawyer about your options for an insurance claim or other opportunities for recovery. 

How can I get a copy of my police report?

You can get a copy of your police crash report in Texas at the DMV customer service center, by mail, or online. You’ll need to provide information about your role in the crash, the date and time of the accident, the location of the accident, and your name and license number. 

Keep in mind that the police crash report may not be available immediately. It can take up to thirty days for officers to finish their investigation and file the report.

What damages am I entitled to after a car accident?

After an auto accident, you may be able to sue the other driver or their insurance company for medical bills associated with the crash. You can also sue them for pain and suffering, which is also sometimes referred to as mental anguish, as well as the damage that was done to your car.

You may also be entitled to lost wages after an accident. If time off from work was required for treatment of your injuries caused by the car accident, then you may have lost out on income because of it. This can cause serious financial hardship if not accounted for properly by a lawyer who focuses on personal injury cases like yours. 

Take Your Questions to a Richmond Car Crash Attorney

Getting answers from an experienced lawyer can help you get the compensation you’re due faster. That takes the stress and pressure off you and your family. We even offer free consultations, so you can get answers fast. 

When you’re ready to act, contact The Estes Law Firm. Call 281-238-5400 or fill out the following online contact form.